A supercharger is designed to compress the air delivered to the intake. It provides a tremendous increase in denser air for a larger combustion. Adding a supercharger is a great way to obtain a large increase in power in your Wrangler. Superchargers are more practical than turbochargers on Wranglers because turbos generate a large amount of under-hood heat. Superchargers don’t have lag like turbos do, making them great for off-roading. The belt drive system has no lag which allows you to have the extra power as soon as you press down on the throttle.
If you're considering the supercharger options, you'll also want to understand intercoolers. They help augment the power from the supercharger by keeping air temperatures down. There are two types: air-to-air and wait-to-air.
An air-to-air intercooler is an intercooler that uses air to cool air. Meaning the exchange of heat that occurs is between the air that is charged in the charge pipes and the air that is flowing through the intercooler. Air-to-ir intercooler are only as efficient as the ambient airflow that they contact, and placement of this type of intercooler is key to maximize efficiency.
- Requires no power to work
- Easier to set-up
- Requires no liquids to work and therefore, no chances for leaks
- Does not suffer from heat-soak as long as the intercooler is seeing sufficient air-flow
- Efficiency is only as good as the ambient temperature & amount of airflow the intercooler is exposed to
- Cannot be mounted anywhere; must be mounted in an area that is exposed to high volumes of air flow
A water-to-air intercooler is an intercooler where the exchange of heat occurs between water and air. Water is pumped through the intercooler so the heat from the charge pipe is transferred to the water.
- Very high efficiency
- Efficiency can be exaggerated by using ice, or other chemicals to produce lower temperatures
- Can be mounted anywhere along the charge pipe route
- Requires a water pump, a reservoir, a heat exchanger, et cetera
- Since it is more complex, it naturally causes more opportunities for problem, like leaks
- Can become heat-soaked when used for long period of hard driving
- Since it uses water, and additional components, this set-up weighs more