Do these steps for both sides
1. Park vehicle on a level surface and set the emergency brake. Wear eye protection beyond this point.
2. Position Crusher Corner into place on the rear corner of the Jeep and check for proper fitment.
3. Clamp the Crusher Corner to the body using either a C-clamp or similar device (double check all mounting positions for correct alignment).
4. Check for proper tailgate clearance and operation.
5. Using a sharpie marker, mark all of the 3/8” mounting holes along the side and back of the Crusher Corner. Mark the LED tail light hole if applicable. Carefully remove the Crusher Corner from the vehicle and set aside.
NOTE: If you are installing Comp Cut corners, use the sharpie to trace the lines of the corner on the body where you will need to cut. You will need to remove all of the support in the inner wheel well area.
NOTE: ’Installing Comp Cut Crusher Corners on 03 and up TJ requires the relocation of the charcoal canister.
6. Using a center punch and a medium sized hammer, punch the center of the marked hole.
7. Check carefully for any obstructions/wires on the inside of the Jeep where the holes are to be drilled.
8. Use a sharp 3/8” drill bit to drill out the holes that were previously marked. Be sure to remove any metal debris or burrs from around the holes.
9. On driver/passenger bottom rear mounting hole closest to tailgate, an access hole will need to be drilled by drilling all the way through the tub (this will only be necessary on non-Comp Cut installations). Then, from inside the tub, use a 1” hole saw centered on the previously drilled through-hole. The resulting 1” hole provides access to the lock nut that will be installed there. Spray exposed bare metal with clear-coat. A CJ7 rubber body plug or generic 1” rubber plug from the hardware store can be used to plug the hole after installation is complete.
OPTIONAL: If desired, rather than cutting the 1” access hole you may install the supplied 3/8” nut-serts in these locations. Only use the supplied nut-serts if you are familiar with how to properly install them. They will require a 17/32” drill bit and a Nut-Sert Installation Tool. Note that we recommend using a professional Nut-sert install tool such as the “MarsonTM Giant Threadsetter”, if one is available. If a proper nust-sert install tool is not available, a make-shift one may be fashioned using a hex bolt, oversized nut and washers, as shown in the “Nut-Sert Installation Tool Instructions” PDF file which may be downloaded from the Poison Spyder website Tech Library section. On Jeep TJ & LJ, it may be easier to use nut-serts at the forward-most hardware locations on either side as well, so we have provided 2 additional nut-serts for this purpose, in the hardware kits for those vehicles.
10. If installing Comp-Cut corners, use a pneumatic body saw or other suitable tool to cut along the previously-marked cut lines. De-bur the cut edges with a grinder or file. It is recommended to spray an aerosol clear coat over the areas where exposed metal shows through. Comp Cut corners require the relocation of the tailgate hinges on TJ’s and YJ’s as well as the relocation the rear body mount on all vehicles
11. If installing the LED taillights, cut out the hole using a 4.5” hole saw or pneumatic body saw. Be sure to check for wiring behind the sheet metal prior to cutting. On CJ8’s with LED’s the horizontal portion of the inner wheel well will need to be trimmed. Spray the exposed cut edges with clear-coat to prevent rust.
12. Using the supplied hardware, re-install the Crusher Corner into place. Loosely install flat head cap screw, flat washer (on the back side) and lock nut. Do not tighten hardware at this time (allow the Crusher Corner to “float” until all hardware is loosely installed). Once all hardware is in place, carefully align the Crusher Corner into place, then tighten all hardware using the 7/32 hex key and 9/16 wrench.
13. If installing LED taillights, continue with Poison Spyder’s separate instruction sheet “LED TAILLIGHTS & FLASHERS INSTALLATION”, which came with your LED taillights (if purchased through Poison Spyder) or may be downloaded in PDF form from the Tech Library section of our website. 13. Re install any OE pieces that will re reused (flares, gas filler bezel, license plate bracket or OE taillights).