1. Clean ALL bare metal pieces provided in the kit, using a clean rag and brake cleaner. This will ensure an easier, cleaner installation and better welds later in the installation.
2. Weld the Inner Plate to the inside of each Lower A-Pillar. Align the bottom and two long side edges of the Inner Plate and the Lower A-Pillar. It is not necessary to put a continuous bead all the way around the Inner Plate. Stitch-welding in 1” increments will yield plenty of strength. If a full weld is desired for aesthetics, stitch-weld in increments to keep the assembly from warping during welding. The result will be a fully boxed bottom section of the Lower A-Pillar.
3. Weld the Top Gusset onto each Lower a-Pillar. It will fit into the only open 90º bend at the top end of the A-Pillar.
4. Park vehicle on a level surface and set the emergency brake. Remove existing cage components, plastic covers, or any other equipment that will be in the way. Use welding blankets to protect the dash and interior of the Jeep from weld splatter.
5. Along either side of the Jeep’s dash there are four bolts going into the firewall, which match the slotted bolt pattern found on the A-Pillars. Remove these bolts from both sides.
6. Install the Lower A-Pillars into place using the three bolts you removed during in the previous step. The mounting holes in the A-Pillars are slotted to allow for vertical adjustment. Leave the bolts only snug enough to hold the A-Pillars in place but loose enough to allow them to slide up and down within the slots.
7. Position the Foot Plates beneath each A-Pillar. Make sure the plates are positioned so that the A-Pillar lands as close to the center as possible, but so the bolt holes that must be drilled through the floor are correctly located away from any obstructions underneath the floor. Tack-weld the A-Pillars to the Foot Plates.
8. Drill the four bolt holes into the Jeep’s floorboards, using the holes in each of the Foot Plates as your drill guide. Bolt the Foot Plates into place (hardware not included in Kit).
9. Grind or sand the paint from the locations on the factor roll cage where the pieces of the Trail Cage will be welded in. This includes the forward edge of the main hoop, at the center where the Forward Stringers attach. It also includes the underside of each windshield support bar near the windshield, where the Upper A-Pillar Tubes will attach.
10. Install the A-Crossbar 10 and the Forward Stringers L&R 11 at the same time. Have a friend help with holding the three pieces in place. Start by holding the A-Crossbar in place between the two windshield support bars (or Poison Spyder Header Bars, if used), toward the front of the Jeep.