Before beginning the installation, read these instructions and the enclosed driver’s WARNING NOTICE thoroughly and completely. Also affix the WARNING decal in passenger compartment in clear view of all occupants. If any of these items are missing from this instruction packet, do not proceed with installation, but call SKYJACKER® to obtain needed items. If you have any questions or reservations about installing this lift kit, call SKYJACKER® at 318-388-0816 for Technical Assistance or Customer Service departments.
1. Make sure you park the vehicle on a level concrete or asphalt surface. Many times a vehicle is uneven (side-to-side) from the factory, but usually not noticed until a lift kit has been installed which makes the difference more visible. Using a measuring tape, measure the front and rear (both sides) from the ground up to the center of the fender opening above the axle. Record below for future reference.
Driver Side Front: ________________ Passenger Side Front: ________________
Driver Side Rear: ________________ Passenger Side Rear: ________________
• Please refer to Parts List to insure that all parts and hardware are received prior to disassembly of vehicle. If any parts are found to be missing, contact your dealer as soon as possible.
• If larger tires (10% larger than stock) are installed, speedometer recalibration is necessary.
• After installation occurs, a qualified alignment facility is required to align the vehicle to factory specs.
2. Open the hardware bag and apply a thin coat of lithium-based grease around the polyurethane bushings and insert into each eye of the new front springs then apply a thin coat on the outside of bushings. Insert the metal sleeves into the springs eyes.
3. Raise front of vehicle and support securely with jack stands under the frame behind front springs and block the rear wheels. Remove the tires, shocks, u-bolts (Caution: once the u-bolts are removed, the front axle will be free to move, so support securely on a floor jack). If a drop pitman arm was purchased (needed with 4" lifts, #JA750 for Power Steering, JA850 for Manual Steering), disconnect the tie rod from the original pitman arm, and install new arm (refer to instructions included with drop pitman arm).
4. Unbolt each end of the original front leaf springs and remove both springs from vehicle. If new shackle bushings were purchased, grease and install them at this time. Install the new springs with small eye toward the front bumper for YJ20FS/YJ40FS. If Skyjacker Military wrapped springs were purchased, the spring can mount either way, simply be sure the correct sleeve is used with the correct factory bolt. (NOTE: It is important to NOT tighten the spring and shackle bolts at this time. If SOFTRIDE® springs are tightened, with no load being applied on the springs, a false lift and stiff ride will result. These bolts will be tightened later once the vehicle is on the ground.)
5. While still supporting the front axle with the floor jack, lower axle down to the leaf springs. Be certain the tie bolt heads align and fit into the holes in the axle housing. Install the new u-bolts included and tighten them to 90 ft.lbs. Install tires and lower vehicle to the ground.
2-2.5" Lifts, skip step 6.
6. On 4" kits, a front track bar (pan hard rod) relocation bracket is required. This bracket is packaged separately with its own metric hardware (top of bracket is wide end with slotted hole, and offset should bend toward the front bumper over the original mounting tab). To install bracket, unbolt the factory track bar from the original bracket on axle (save the original nut to re-use). Place the bottom of new bracket just behind the original bracket on axle with a washer between the brackets, then insert the shorter metric bolt from the front going through the original bracket, then the washer, and next through the new bracket. Now install the new nut and tighten. Hook up track bar by first putting a washer on the new longer metric bolt and insert bolt though track bar (from the front), then through the slotted hole on new bracket. Tighten using the original nut.