This electric speedometer utilizes a LCD to display odometer and trip odometer mileage. Momentarily pressing the Trip/Reset button on the dial window cycles the odometer, trip 1, and trip 2 displays on the LCD. Pressing and holding the Trip/Reset button for more than two seconds while in either trip mode, will reset the trip odometer currently being displayed. The odometer cannot be reset.
Auto Meter electric speedometers are pre-calibrated. When converting from a cable driven speedometer further calibration may not be needed if:
1. The transmission’s speedometer cable take off is 1000 RPM at 60 MPH (97 km). Most vehicles meet this requirement.
2. The vehicle is equipped with a 16-pulse/revolution sender.
3. The speedometer that includes a 2-wire sender is pre-calibrated to 8 pulses/revolution to match this sender.
If the above conditions have not been met, the speedometer must be recalibrated (see calibration section). Also, if the vehicle’s tire size and/or differential ratio has changed, the speedometer needs to be recalibrated.
NOTE: The odometer on this speedometer will show some mileage less than 5 miles (8 km). This is a result of factory testing to insure optimum quality.
The speedometer is designed to operate with an electrical speed sender. The speed sender signal range must be between 500 and 400,000 pulses/mile (310 and 248,500 pulses/km). Any speed sender or electronic module that meets the following two conditions can be used:
1. Pulse rate generated is proportional to vehicle speed.
2. Output voltage within the ranges listed below:
• Hall effect sender, 3-wire (5 to 16V)
• Sine wave generator, 2-wire (1.4 VAC min.)
• 5V Square wave (CMOS)
Recommended – Auto Meter Hall effect sender, 3-wire 16 pulses/revolution.
5291 Standard 7/8 – 18 thread
5292 Ford, plug in