The purpose of this kit is to replace the slip yoke portion of the NP231 with a fixed-yoke, CV-style drive shaft assembly. A CV equipped drive shaft will be required with this conversion kit. The stock drive shaft can be modified to work. Proper length and balance are critical. High –quality drive shafts in the required lengths and configurations are available to compliment this kit for many applications.
The easiest way to install this kit is to remove the transfer case from your Jeep. Removal is not necessary, but usually is much quicker and easier. Installation of this kit requires almost total disassembly of your transfer case. Several suggestions that may help:
(1) The installation of this kit requires you to nearly disassemble the entire case. If you need to rebuild, or feel like you have additional worn parts, now would be the time to do so.
(2) Obtain a service manual for your Jeep. This will provide illustrations and
information regarding parts identification, torque values, and other important data.
(3) Use photos, and notes; mark and label all parts for future reference.
(4) Keep all bolts, nuts, washers, ect. separated into groups as you remove them.
Place inside zip-lock bags and mark location removed from.
(5) Make sure you have all the required tools, pre-lubricants, RTV sealant (OEM part
number : 82300234), thread-locker, and a clean work area.
(6) Make sure you have the time needed to perform this conversion without being
STEP 1: Remove the transfer case from the Jeep. Drive shafts, speedometer drive unit, linkages, etc must be removed. The case must be separated from the transmission. Refer to your service manual for details.
STEP 2: Remove front yoke nut and yoke. Note the position of the speedometer drive and then remove speedometer drive unit. Shift the range lever into the 4 Low position. Remove the selector lever. All of these parts will be re-used.
STEP 3: Remove the output shaft boot and dust shield. Some newer models may have a harmonic balancer. There may be other slight model variations. Refer to your service manual for details.
STEP 4: Remove the spacer and snap ring. Remove the seal, inner snap ring (on the shaft), and the bearing retainer ring. Remove the output housing bolts and then remove the existing output assembly.